Thursday 3 June 2010

London/Amsterdam/New York


I'm flying home in 2 weeks which is really exciting because I get to hang with my friends and family and be shamelessly "Dutch" (my attitude described by London friends) again. But I will be missing London like crazy, I'm still here and I kinda miss it and it's metropolitan awesomeness already. It's all self-inflicted pre-conceived melancholy, I know. I'm very good at it. During the past few days I've just been so enthused about all that's coming up;  Amsterdam, my final year at college, graduation and then the so called real world; finding work, paying tax, paying off student debts, getting drivers license, trying not to get in car accidents. I think I've kinda made a decision about what I really want and what I'll be focussing on next year, next to graduating. It's a broad idea really. I think I might apply for a Master degree in either London (Royal College of Art) or Amsterdam (Sandberg Institute) OR look for a job in either London, Amsterdam or New York. One of my really good friends here in London is going to New York to be with her man for the summer and I'm trying to fly my arse over there as well sometime soon to visit them and the OTHER best city in the world. ;) Is it naive to think that now I've lived in London for about 2 years, have even been offered a job, it's safe to assume that I'll get to a standard of surviving/getting by in New York on my own as well? Because that's kinda how I'm feeling right now. Bold and brazen haha. I get the same feeling from that place as I get from London. As for going to Amsterdam, it's so much closer to friends and family than anywhere else I'd consider living/working/studying and that's gradually becoming more important to me. It's definitely a cool city but it's relatively small and I might get tired of it really quickly. I think I can handle 3 months though. So in all, I'm not quite sure yet. Either way, I feel like I'm getting closer to doing all the things that I wanted to do when I was younger; frequent changes of scenery & work/study in different places. Just knowing that I, well a lot of people in my vicinity for that matter, have the opportunity to do those things if we really want to do them makes me feel much less heavy and trapped. That feeling alone is worth a fat grin. 

These London as seen by night aerial photographs by Jason Hawkes aren't new but I've only seen the whole series a few days ago and I really wanted to share them with you in case you hadn't seen them yet. They make me feel extra good about living here. :) 


No comments: