Tuesday 1 September 2009

Notting Hill Carnival 2009

Since 1966, every August Bank holiday, west London streets turn from your average posh neighbourhood into an overwhelming colorful sea of dancing, laughing, shouting, pulling and celebrating people. With a 20 mile route, 40 earrupturing soundsystems, hundreds of carribean food stalls, 40,000 volunteers and over 1 million visitors this is the largest street festival you'll come across in Europe. Last year I arrived in London 1 day too late so I had my Notting Hill Carnival cherry popped today. Normally, just the word carnival alone makes me puke but this was beautiful, I don't know how else to describe it. The energy was extroardinary. There were masses of healthy looking people, having a dance, a laugh, a smoke. It's amazing to see so many people simultaniously letting go, no shame, no fear. And the weather was fabulous! And the food, ahhh.... I'm knackered, I lost my voice, my feet and leg joints are busted, I ate/drank more than I probably should (*EDIT* I also broke a tooth and when the bus broke down in the middle of the road on my way back home, I accidentally stabbed a guy in the head with one of my nails :s) but it was very much worth it, can't wait untill next year and you should come too! x

























































































































No comments: