Tuesday 23 September 2008

Work.

My first job in London. Internet/sales/image/layout-slave at Cordings Ltd; a small shop right off the Picadilly tube on the corner of Picadilly and Air Street that sells 'Traditional British Clothing Since 1839'. (which includes shooting gear, suits, shirts, socks, hats, canes, overcoats, waistcoats, breeks, Bryn Parry illustrated books about sex in the country, cufflinks in the shape of cartridges, etc.) My boss Noll, who was kind enough to offer me the job attempts to run a tight ship but I reckon it's his PA and his 7 headed (international) miracle working staff that keep this madhouse running. Coincidentally, everyone who works here speaks at least 2 languages. Customers vary from members of the British Royal Family, to rediculously minted housewives, to bitter&angry highrollers, to actors, to hunters, to rappers (they're quite fond of the socks), to silly cunts that 'would like to speak to Eric Clapton' (as he co-owns the place). I sent a parcell to Claptons house once but haven't yet had the pleasure to actually meet him. (I was told he occasionally drops by for cups of tea.) Two other random facts: 1. That fabulous tall skinny Chinese gayboy from 'How To Look Good Naked' took a peep inside the other day. 2. I've lived in New Zealand for 1,5 years but had to fly all the way to London to finally see a flippin possum. Ok, it was dead but still. I was exploring the stockroom the other day and there it was, standing in the middle of the path, starin at me with that post-mortem look in it's eye. I'm not really into killing animals for the sake of killing them, I really do disapprove of it and somehow find it an unPC company to work for, nevertheless I had a very interesting time here. My Cording days are coming to an end though. I might end up doing part-time imagery/layout work for them but uni's starting next week so I'll see how I'll go. I'll really miss this place, I've had some great and not so great customers, learned some new tricks and met some bizarre people.











No comments: