Friday 13 November 2009

Letterpress.

Together with a 3rd year graphics student I've been designing the announcement poster/cards for next weeks lecture - The General Post Office: Modernism & Design, 18 November, 4.30 pm - G12 by Paul Rennie. The use of letterpress fits perfectly in the process of my search for analogue peace. I have come to the conclusion that manual typesetting is the bee's knees. And so is rugged grumpy letterpress veteran/instructor Nick. He wears a derelict sweater with a hole in it, has fat stained sausage fingers, a missing front tooth, endless typographic knowledge and posesses the master ability to crack down juggernaut style on everyone who doesn't do what he says / shows up too late or unprepared. He will make you cry for yo mama, in his eyes you are a maggot. As I hung out with him for the past couple of days he showed me the ropes as long as I promised to pay attention and not do anything stupid. I went in humble-mode and all went well. He even let me take some pictures. So here's a semi-documentary style series on the Southampton Row Letterpress Studio, shot with a Blackberry Curve 8900 (I know, shame.) x























No comments: