Wednesday 18 February 2009

Rye Lane.

I shot these for a uni assignment. I was to do a photo essay titled 'A Day in the Life of...' I chose to spend some time in a street called Rye Lane in Peckham Rye, the first neighbourhood that I lived in when I moved to London. Peckham is a traditional London working class community that now coexists with communities that have their origins in Bangladesh, the Caribbean, China, India, Ireland, Nigeria, Pakistan, Turkey, Eastern Europe and Vietnam. Rye Lane used to be one of the most important shopping streets in south London. It's not exactly a high street shopping area anymore but for the residents the street is still a vibrant source of everyday household shopping. There are also a variety of markets, barbershops and nail salons. I didn't quite know what to expect but most of the people that I tried to photograph reacted shy and humble, as if they were taken off guard. I was surpised by how friendly and collaborative the merchants were. I love this street. It's crowded, colorfull, loud, smelly, hardcore, honest; alive.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting post and beautiful pictures!