Sunday 21 February 2010

Homework II.

Pierre Soulages is also known as "the painter of black" because of his interest in the colour, "...both a colour and a non-colour. When light is reflected on black, it transforms and transmutes it. It opens up a mental field all of its own". He sees light as a matter to work with; striations of the black surface of his paintings enables him to make the light reflect, allowing the black to come out from darkness and into brightness, thereby becoming a luminous colour.

Word. You better recognize.

For a brief I had to collect a minimum of 50 and a maximum of 100 texts (or images). I was stuck for about 2 weeks. I then decided to pull the self-indulgence card so I collected 100 black things I own (yeah, not so hard) and had a little improvised photoshoot. Yay, photography + everything black = pins&needles&fun! After editing I ended up with 4 A3 5x5 grids of black stuff. Oh how purdy, I thought at first. But the longer I looked at and mulled over the collection, the more sickening the sight of it became. I felt that I had somehow managed to sum up my obsessions, wants, preferences, characteristics, virtues and vices with a visual collection of a bunch of stuff. So with the realization that this is actually all just stuff and it wouldn't necessarily have to be my stuff, I distanced myself from this collection as it being a personal collection and made the project about the material consequences of everything we experience and every decision we make. Aesthetically the blackness worked to the concepts advantage, so I was lucky. For the final crit I did a full color A1 poster, (see below). It's a first draft, it needs typographic changes and a little less obviousness. Will keep you posted on the end result.


2 comments:

A. said...

this is beautiful!

xx andreas

BNZLDN said...

Ahw thank you. I hope all is well with you/in Andy&Danny land! I read your other blog, your being-in-loveness is soso sweet and gives me butterflies hihi, it totally reminds me of how beautifull it can and will be, takk! x